Sunday 25 January 2015

Flying off the needles...

So, at last and with the arrival of more wool, here they are (dun dun dah, as the kids would say):


The owls have arrived!  (Please excuse the washing behind, it's the best place for light at this time of year.)  And, as befits their order (yes, I checked, not genus, order, I like to be accurate about these things), they arrived in the middle of the night ie I finished them late on Wednesday evening, actually more like Thursday morning.  According to the children, the owl with eyes is the one that's awake during the day, the others are all asleep.  It's a very warm jumper too, and is now my official Church Jumper for places what are Cold.

I have also been practicing continental knitting, after I finally got around to asking Michelle to show me how to do it.  After a practice swatch in stocking stitch, I jumped in with both feet and headed straight for Planet Stranded Knitting, which I've been longing to visit properly for a while.  The result was a swatch with which I am ridiculously well pleased. (Is that grammatically correct?  Never mind.)



Just look at those beautiful floats on the back!  I've now ordered (yet) more wool and cast on for the jumper, which is Kyllene, though I'll be doing it without the keyhole, as it's far too cold here for large holes in jumpers.  I'm not sure whether I'll do the colour change at the top or not yet, but as I've started on a sleeve I have a little while to go before I make that decision.  I really like this one though, so I may not.

And then there was another worry cruncher, the last for now and rather taller than I expected,


and a lot of bugs and crawly things in a nearly-finished storysack (Mad About Minibeasts) which I can't take any credit for as I've been busy with Mr Torpedo above.


Lastly I have cast on for yet another jumper, a very simple one in James Brett Marble Chunky (MC46 if you're interested, a gorgeous blue-green mix) where I am actually going to Follow The Pattern. Apart from the length of course, take that as read.  What is it about January that makes me want to knit jumpers?  Can't imagine, think it might have something to do with the snow.



2 comments: