Thursday 15 January 2015

Wednesday Week

[This post was supposed to be published yesterday, hence the name, but as ever life got in the way.]

What did we do before digital cameras?  (it’s ok, I am old enough to remember.)  My first camera was a hand-me-down small Kodak instamatic with a black case, which took square pictures.  I must have been about 9 or 10, and it was so lovely to have my own camera to take whichever pictures I wanted!  I remember having a whole film for a week long holiday somewhere where there were boats (because all the pictures are of the sea) – it could have been at my aunt’s in Brixham.  A whole 24 pictures (hang on, it might have been 12) – what was a girl to do?  But you had to buy the films.  Then you had to pay to get them processed.  So photography was an expensive hobby, especially when the photos came out wonky and blurred as most of mine did.

 (It looked just like this one.)

Fast forward (quite) a few years and now we can take unlimited pictures even on our phones.  I love taking photos, and while I haven’t got a dedicated camera or anything my phone camera sees regular use.  I thought I’d use my photos to look back over the week and see what we’d been up to.
At knitting last week it was Michelle’s turn to ‘show and tell’ as she’d finished her owls jumper – she definitely took the more complicated route with hers, and it’s beautiful.  We had a quick photo session after she’d finished weaving in all the ends. [The video of Michelle doing one of the steeks can be seen on YouTube here.]


It’s been train week in our house.  We've tried a few different layouts (spirals, anyone?), we've had naughty trains banished to the space in the middle, we've had plenty of derailments.  We've even managed some co-operative play at times.


That’s Steph in her pterodactyl jumper, I adapted it with the wings for fancy dress and she won’t let me take them off now.  There was a hat with a big pterodactyl beak too but that didn’t last so well.

Then there was a little tiny bit of snow, enough to get my snow sense going, so we had to pop up the nearest pass (Holme Moss) and take a look at the view.  I always think this sort of snow looks like icing sugar dusting the top of a sponge cake.  There was just enough for Chris to throw a small snowball at me (while I was sitting in the car) which then valiantly hung on at the bottom of the windscreen most of the way back down the hill. 



There were some lovely patches of bright sunshine on the way back down too, which I couldn’t resist trying to photograph.  Shows how dirty our windscreen is though.


Then there was the night Hannah asked, ‘Daddy, how does it rain?’, and Daddy (being a geochemist) and Mummy (being a biochemist) couldn’t help but answer with a full account of the water cycle, complete with diagram on our weekly planner.  This is what you get at teatime in our house.  At least two of our children now know the word ‘evaporation’ and what it means.


Finally my owls jumper is coming along nicely, and the last few evenings have been spent wrestling with the owls themselves.  I even managed to try it on, and it fits! It fits!  (Just as well.)  So I’m now really looking forward to wearing it.  The only slight issue is that I now have 22 owls, but no more yarn, so have had to order another ball.  It’s just as well I like this yarn, because it comes in 400g balls and I only have a little bit left to do, so I shall have a lot left over.  I’m sure I’ll think of something to do with it.

So that was last week, I wonder what this week’s photos will look like?  Hopefully there might be a finished jumper in there somewhere!



No comments:

Post a Comment